Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG)
Date Posted: 20/12/2018
The Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) have announced that there will be changes made to their Ambassador program in early 2019. The Intercontinental Ambassador membership tier offers guests a range of benefits and inclusions for each one of your stays at any Intercontinental property around the world. I myself have been an Intercontinental Ambassador Member for the last couple of years, since I first discovered in in 2016. The membership has a small cost associated to it when signing up and renewing your membership each year. The membership costs $200 USD or 40,000 points. Once you take into account all the benefits you receive you quite often end up in front, so don’t let the sign up fee put you off.
An exact date on when these new changes will come into effect hasn’t been announced yet. It’s only been described by Intercontinental as commencing in early 2019, so I suspect it with be in the first few months of the year.
The biggest change in my opinion is that when these new changes come into effect, Intercontinental Ambassador Members will automatically be rewarded with Platinum Elite Status within the IHG Rewards Club. Currently Intercontinental Ambassadors are only awarded Gold Elite Status, offering greater benefits to their guests instantly as soon as the change over takes place.
In addition to the benefits already associated with Gold Elite status which is the tier currently on offer to Ambassador members, the new Platinum Elite Benefits will allow guests to earn 50% bonus points on accommodation, Guaranteed Room Availability, Room Upgrades and Elite Rollover Nights.
Intercontinental Ambassador Members will continue to receive the following benefits:
- Guaranteed one category room upgrade from the room that was originally booked, this is usually assigned at check in.
- Extended check out time of 4pm.
- Complimentary weekend night (free night of accommodation when staying over a weekend period). This benefit alone quite often pays for your membership in it self, especially when there is availability during peak periods.
- Access to a dedicated check-in area, skipping the queue.
- A welcome fruit platter for every one of your stays, but this has been changed for stays in Greater China only.
- Complimentary mineral water, replenished daily.
- Complimentary Internet Access.
The new exclusive benefits that will commence in early 2019 are in addition to the benefits listed above:
- Platinum Elite Status in IHG Rewards Club, allowing for more benefits at any IHG branded properties around the world. Such as Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Kimpton Suites, Hotel Indigo, EVEN Hotels, Crowne Plaza plus many more.
- Up to $25 AUD voucher for restaurants and bars for every stay, the value of the voucher will be determined by the market and the local currency.
- Ambassador Benefits Guarantee, ensuring you get the most out of every stay.
- Electronic delivery of your complimentary weekend night certificate, which means you can use it straight away without having to wait for the voucher to arrive in the mail.
The following benefits only apply for stays in Greater China:
- Complimentary breakfast for one, for each night of you stay.
- 15% discount off restaurants and bars.
Unfortunately these changes will see some of the current Ambassador member benefits removed such as:
- Complimentary fresh fruit, sweet or savoury snack at properties outside of Greater China.
- No mention of a personalised welcome letter on arrival and in-room gift, but you should get a personalised welcome being a Platinum Elite IHG Member, and maybe some in room extras.
- There will no longer be any entitlement to one free pay-TV film per stay.
It’s great to see that IHG are changing up the Ambassador Program, every now and then it just needs a refresh and by now awarding Ambassadors with Platinum Elite status it makes becoming an Intercontinental Ambassador Membership that little bit more rewarding.
If your choosing to stay at an Intercontinental property anywhere around the world I suggest that you sign up for the program, even if your justy going to use it for the free weekend night of accomodation. The benefits you will continue to receive will outlay your cost. Sure, some of the benefits that were on offer previously are now obsolete but the Ambassador Program will continue to be just as rewarding, perhaps just more rewarding when travelling though greater China.
To become an Intercontinental Ambassador, please click here.
No firm details have been confirmed by IHG with regards to the date that these new benefits will come into effect and limited details have been given out with regards to each specific reward benefits.